Thursday, January 27, 2011

The Life and Times of Akle Salyer

Akle Salyer cut my hair every month from age 9 to 15 or so. Haircuts grew less frequent as I got older, of course, and I eventually discovered the pretty girls at the barber college in nearby Newark, leaving Akle in the dust of my adolescent hair-clippings and new-found fondness for girls running their fingers through my hair. "Sorry, Akle," I would think, as I tip-toed past his shop, "You're good, but the times, they are a changin'."

Below is the obituary I just found of my old friend Akle Salyer, the small town barber of my actual childhood home, Kirkersville, Ohio. He passed away in 2009. He was 85 years old.

Many of you know that I got into songwriting after moving to Kentucky in my 20's, and I just went with it, basing the half-fictional happenings of Pine View Heights in Kentucky, where I was then located.

There was a small mobile home community on the outskirts of Kirkersville called Pine View Trailer Court and it would become the proverbial Rome to my creative ramblings some twenty years later, all my roads leading to it in one way or another. My childhood was filled with characters, hard-working, fun-loving people who have left an indelible impression on me.

Our mobile home relocated several times before finally landing along the North side of Kirkersville along the creek bank. Akle's shop was on Main St., about a 10 minute walk away from my front door. The school bus would stop just a block away from his place, and I'd often stop there before going home, linger a bit and exchange my pennies for a few square pieces of gum that became unchewable only moments after popping them into my mouth.

I have looked everywhere online for a picture of Akle, but can't find one. But I remember him as a tall, lanky man about two-thirds legs. A long, largish nose and dark, relaxed eyes. His brown hair was always perfectly groomed, the teeth marks of his comb still visible in the late afternoon. I have the memory of him standing, talking -- always talking -- at a slight diagonal lean toward the chair, the sunlight hitting the East wall of his shop and reflecting in the large mirror.

A messy stack of well-read comic books and People Magazines rested on a table next to a mismatched row of chairs under the plate glass window. Hand-painted, arced letters announced Akle's Barber Shop on the window in red. The red and white pole turned slowly beside the door if he was open for business. If it was Sunday or Monday, or if he was golfing, the pole was still.

I always thought it strange that he had a bell above the door to announce our comings and goings. The shop was no more than 12 x 18' and the bathroom was just on the other side of the wall. He could have easily heard the door opening. But the bell, although jarring to the stillness of the place, soon became a part of the ambiance of Akle's little shop.

I think of Akle, not only when I sing "Full Moon Nights in Pine View Heights," wherein he is mentioned by name, but also other reminiscent songs such as, "In a Perfect World," or one that I've started singing lately (to be released on my next album) called "Time is a West Bound Train." When I visit my youth, Akle is always there.

These people help form who we are, and what type of person we want to be when we grow up. He didn't have a fancy diploma or a teaching license, but in a lot of ways, Akle was one of my favorite teachers. His great lesson to me was his day to day life, lived honorably and steadily. Nothing flashy. Nothing outrageous. Just real. And he lives on in my heart, as I'm sure he does in the hearts of all those whose hair -- and hearts -- he touched.

Here is the obit:

Akle Salyer

January 8, 1924 - April 11, 2009

Akle Salyer, of Kirkersville, was born January 8, 1924. He lived to be 85 years old and died on April 11, 2009. He was the son of Burley Salyer and Zola Vanderpool-Arnett both of which preceded him in death. He was married to Virginia Ethel Howard on December 24, 1945, a marriage of 63 years. Born to them were four children, two sons Billy Joe Salyer and Bobby Neal Salyer, both of which preceded him in death and two daughters Judy Gail Salyer-Norman of Columbus and Melody Ann Salyer-Gintert of Pickerington. Additional extended family includes John W. Norman and Susan K. Ziegler. He had eight grandchildren and 12 great-grandchildren.

He raised two of his grandsons Billy Salyer and Rodney Salyer and they were like sons to him. Preceded in death by one brother Elmer Salyer and one sister Phyllis Joe Minix. Survived by one sister Betty Fae Minix and brother-in-law Burt Minix of Alger, Ohio. Also, not to be overlooked was the love he gave and received from his three treasured dogs Julie, Smokey and his most precious Charlie Brown.

He was a wonderful husband and father. He proudly served in the US Army in World War II. He graduated from the Ohio State Barber College and operated his own barber shop in Kirkersville, Ohio for many years.

He loved to play golf at Harbor Hills Golf Club where he was a member for many years, bowl, fish and garden, but most of all enjoyed his family. He was liked by everyone who ever met him and he was a wonderful christian. He often told his wife, “When I leave this world, I’ll be at home with Jesus in that beautiful mansion he has prepared for me.” He will be loved and missed by all.

His family will receive friends on Monday from 2-4 and 6-8 p.m. at The Hoskinson Funeral Home, 285 E Main St in Kirkersville, where a funeral service celebrating his life will be held at 11:00 a.m. Tuesday. Burial, with full military honors, will follow at Kirkersville Cemetery.

2 comments:

  1. Hello,

    I am one of those eight grandchildren. My mom forwarded me this blog post and I am very touched by your fond memories of my grandfather. He was a very kind and intelligent man. He could grow a killer garden and tell you the best corny jokes you have ever heard. To me he wasn't Akle, he was Papa and I know that if he were here today he would be absolutely pleased to know that he had such an impact on your childhood.

    Thanks
    D

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh lord that brings tears to my eyes all you wrote was straight forward direct to the point you described grandpa in a nutshell yes I thought grandpa was so cool and relaxed he would go to Harbor Hills and play golf at lunch time and then return to shop but most times he just come back to house at lunch time fix something to eat and nap on the couch he was very rehearsed and creature of habit Rodney Salyer

    ReplyDelete